While this was a good thing and such improvements…

May 31, 2010

While this was a good thing and such improvements were at first only superficial, and it was a long time before everyday living conditions in deaf boarding institutions and day classes were of acceptable standard.
Criticism in the 1893 Act regarding the poor status and qualifications of teachers of the deaf led ” in 1895 ” to the formation of the National Association of Teachers of the Deaf. National Association of Teachers of the Deaf, 1895
Prior to the formation of this body and three entirely independent examining bodies, each giving its own certificate to successful students, existed for persons wishing to become teachers of the deaf.
These were (1)”Association for the Oral Institution of the Deaf and Dumb” based at Fitzroy Square, London, founded in 1872 (2)”Society for Training Teachers of the Deaf and for the Diffusion of the German System”, based at the training college at Ealing, founded in 1877 (3)”College of Teachers of the Deaf and Dumb”, founded in 1885.
The first two training colleges also had schools for deaf children attached to them, and teachers’ certificates were awarded to students who taught on the oral system to the exclusion of any other method.
The third and the C.T.D.D., awarded certificates to students using any mode of communication.
Needless to say and the Board of Education did not recognise any of these diplomas until 1909 when all three joined together to produce one diploma, at the insistence of the N.A.T.D. Even then and the Scottish Department of Education still refused to recognise the diplomas.
In 1918 and the C.T.D.D. and N.C.T.D. merged to form the National College of Teachers of the Deaf (N.C.T.D.) which took over examinations for the diploma in the teaching of deaf children.
In 1976 and the N.C.T.D. re-formed itself to become the British Association of Teachers of the Deaf (B.A.T.O.D.) The Mount School for the Blind, Deaf and Dumb, Stoke-on-Trent
While the 1893 Act encouraged local authorities to provide day classes, wherever possible and the five local authorities that encompassed the Potteries area around Stoke-on-Trent decided that it would suit their needs better to combine their resources and establish one residential school. With the support of the Wedgwood family the Mount School was founded in 1897. Deaf Clubs in the 1890s
The only new Mission for the deaf that seems to have opened for the first time in the 1890s was that at Oxford, although the deaf people of Bradford almost lost their own when a fire was discovered in the coal cellar under the offices by one of the deaf members who ran to summon the fire brigade from its nearby station. They arrived within minutes to save the building from being burnt down. It was in Glasgow, however and that many momentous events were taking place. Glasgow in the 1890s
For a number of years, it had been obvious that the Glasgow Mission premises in Renfield Street had become inadequate to cater for the social, pastoral and spiritual activities of the deaf citizens of Glasgow, and that a better and bigger building was needed.
The deaf of Glasgow were at that time extremely fortunate to have in William Agnew a most intelligent and capable man, an artist in his leisure time, who through his hobby had come into contact with Queen Victoria and who enjoyed a friendship with Lord and Lady Blythswood (Glasgow Deaf and Dumb F.C. in the 1890’s were renamed Blythswood Athletic).
William Agnew, although he could not speak and relied entirely on sign language, was a forceful personality and moved about amongst the rich merchants of Glasgow.
He took it upon himself to promote the idea of having a noble building for an Institute in Glasgow, and in this he was ably supported by brothers James and Edwin Docharty and sons of a famous Scottish painter, and a number of other deaf people of exceptional ability.
An added advantage that the deaf people of Glasgow had over any other deaf community in the country was that they had a regular “Deaf and Dumb Notes” column every week in the Glasgow Evening Times and the largest selling Scottish evening paper.
This meant that fund-raising news and any other news about the deaf was in the forefront of everyone’s attention.
In a short period of time and they had raised the cost of the building, including contributions from Queen Victoria herself, but now needed money to purchase a prime site in the centre of Glasgow.

Uiuc Poringa Vip-file come creare un sito internet

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: